Placing a spouse in a care home: the importance of keeping
2001 (English)In: Journal of Clinical Nursing, ISSN 0962-1067, E-ISSN 1365-2702, Vol. 10, no 3, 406-416 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
• Despite a universal policy of community care, the number of frail older people entering care homes is likely to increase in the future.
• There have been relatively few studies exploring the experience of spouses who have placed a partner in care.
• Due to a lack of preparation, the placement process is often ad hoc, with little attention being given to spouses’ emotional reactions or their efforts to maintain their relationship with their partner.
• The relationship between care home staff and families is often superficial and strained.
• There is a need for more proactive efforts to facilitate a partnership between care home staff and families.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2001. Vol. 10, no 3, 406-416 p.
Medical and Health Sciences
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-27028DOI: 10.1046/j.1365-2702.2001.00497.xLocal ID: 11672OAI: oai:DiVA.org:liu-27028DiVA: diva2:247579