liu.seSearch for publications in DiVA
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • oxford
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Employability and work ability: returning to the labour market after long-term absence
Linköping University, Department of Behavioural Sciences and Learning. Linköping University, HELIX Vinn Excellence Centre. Linköping University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
Linköping University, Department of Medical and Health Sciences, Work and Rehabilitation. Linköping University, Faculty of Health Sciences. Linköping University, HELIX Vinn Excellence Centre. (HELIX Vinn Excellence Centre)ORCID iD: 0000-0002-8031-7651
2013 (English)In: Work: A journal of Prevention, Assesment and rehabilitation, ISSN 1051-9815, E-ISSN 1875-9270, Vol. 44, no 4, 449-457 p.Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to analyse how people who return to the labour market after long-term sickness absenteeism and subsequent job loss differ in employability, work ability, health, educational level, age, and gender, compared to those who do not.

PARTICIPANTS: The cohort consisted of 191 individuals, 20 men and 171 women, whose employment was terminated because they had not been able to return to their regular work after taking a long-term sick leave and rehabilitation measures.

METHODS: This study is based on a postal questionnaire sent out to a cohort of previous employees in a Swedish municipality in 2008.

RESULTS: At the time of the survey, 39% of the respondents had returned to the labour market and the remaining 61% had not. Return to the labour market after a long-term sick leave was positively associated with male gender, young age, and work ability, i.e. the ability to work with respect to health and work-related demands. Employability, educational level, and health were not significantly associated with a return to the labour market.

CONCLUSIONS: In the discourse on employability, work ability is often neglected even though it is a central aspect of an individual's ability to obtain new employment.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
IOS Press , 2013. Vol. 44, no 4, 449-457 p.
Keyword [en]
Unemployment, health, long-term sick leave, Sweden
National Category
Medical and Health Sciences
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-69503DOI: 10.3233/WOR-2012-1402ISI: 000316852800008OAI: oai:DiVA.org:liu-69503DiVA: diva2:428067
Available from: 2011-06-29 Created: 2011-06-29 Last updated: 2017-12-11Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(258 kB)665 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 258 kBChecksum SHA-512
83c0cd7e3b9b5610ee93e71faa10334290fee1d83bc806c7d88e5906405a863539a0cfc52307e74e0a8fc26d4a3be508390db01c09a6f82cda05007b664c1999
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

Other links

Publisher's full text

Authority records BETA

Nilsson, StaffanEkberg, Kerstin

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Nilsson, StaffanEkberg, Kerstin
By organisation
Department of Behavioural Sciences and LearningHELIX Vinn Excellence CentreFaculty of Arts and SciencesWork and RehabilitationFaculty of Health Sciences
In the same journal
Work: A journal of Prevention, Assesment and rehabilitation
Medical and Health Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 665 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
urn-nbn
Total: 339 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • oxford
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf