The General Practitioner - a paradox in specialization
2009 (English)In: ICERI2009 Proceedings, Valencia: IATED - International Association of Technology, Education and Development , 2009, 2774-2781 p.Conference paper (Other academic)
This paper reports a preparatory study concerning General Practitioners in Medicine aimed as a basis for a research project comparing the work of the profession in seven European countries with rather different health care systems; France, Germany, Hungary, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom. The final report will give a basis for exchange of experiences and ideas for further development of the GP- profession.
1. The first question focus on the paradox to become and act as a specialist in a wide ranged field while specialization in common are directed to deeper knowledges within a carfully restricted area.
2. Secondly the project will concentrate on questions concerning if this kind of specialization require knowledges and cognitive structures with a difference of principle compared with common specialisations and how GP:s, in that case, give form to and use that specific knowledge base in their dayly work.
3. A third field in the study is directed to illuminate (a) the social status of GP's in participating countries (b) their cooperation with colleagues within different specialized fields of medicine and (c) routines concerning referral and consultation.
4. Fourtly the organization of primary care and the work of GP's in respective country are focused. Economical resources, management, cooperation with biomedical staff, nurses, physioterapists and occupational therapists are studied related to work load and treatment results. Interprofessional cooperation is central for this part of the research project.
5. Finally the study will focus on strategies for education and training of GP's including choice of theoretical knowledges and how practical training and supervision are arranged in respective country.
The oral presentation will concentrate on a simple model for comparative research wich will be illustrated in direct connection to questions above. The model is aimed for use in several fields of comparative studies.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Valencia: IATED - International Association of Technology, Education and Development , 2009. 2774-2781 p.
professional competence, general practitioners, family doctor, professional
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-78110ISBN: 978-84-613-2953-3OAI: oai:DiVA.org:liu-78110DiVA: diva2:531405
2nd International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, 16-18 November 2009, Madrid, Spain