Discourse and Narrative Methods: Theoretical Departures, Analytical Strategies and Situated Writings
2015 (English)Book (Refereed)
Discourses and narratives are crucial in how we understand a world of rapid changes. This textbook constitutes a unique introduction to two major influential theoretical and methodological fields - discourse and narrative methods - and examines them in their interrelation. It offers readers an orientation within the broad and contested area of discourse and narrative methods and develops concrete analytical strategies to those who wish to explore both or one of these fields as well as their overlaps.Illustrated with examples from real life and real research, this book:
- Maps the theoretical influence from poststructuralist, postmodern, postcolonial and feminist ideas on the field of discourse and narrative.
- Acts as a guide to the most central analytical approaches in discourse and narrative studies supported by concrete examples of analytical strategies.
- Presents a variety of oral, textual, visual and other ’data’ for the purpose of analyzing discourse and narrative.
- Offers deeper insight into discourse and narrative methods within three themes of crucial importance for changing global context: media and society, gender and space, and autobiography and life writing.
- Acts as a helpful guide to situated writing based on concrete workshop exercises, which promotes ethical reflexivity, analytical thinking and creative engagement in the study of discourses and narratives.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
London: Sage publications , 2015. , 232 p.
Social Sciences Interdisciplinary
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-117043ISBN: 978-14-4626-970-1OAI: oai:DiVA.org:liu-117043DiVA: diva2:803819