A NEW DAWN FOR THE BURIED GARBAGE?: AN INVESTIGATION OF THE MARKETABILITY FOR PREVIOUSLY DISPOSED WASTE
2015 (English)In: Sardinia 2015: 15th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium / [ed] Raffaello Cossu et al, Padova, Italy, 2015Conference paper (Other academic)
This paper examines the market potential of disposed waste, a resource that is increasingly emphasized as a future mine. A framework with gate requirements of various outlets was developed and contrasted with excavated waste sorted in an advanced recycling facility. Only the smallest fraction by percentage had an outlet, the metals (8%), which were sold according a lower quality class. The other fractions (92%) were not accepted for incineration, construction materials or even re-deposition. Previous studies have shown similar lack of marketability. This means that even if one fraction can be recovered, the outlet of the other material is often unpredictable, resulting in a waste disposal problem, which easily prevents a landfill mining project altogether. However, the potential in landfills could better be exploited if technology and regulations adapts to disposed garbage.
Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Padova, Italy, 2015.
, Sardinia Proceedings
Landfill mining, Marketability, Case study, Technology, Institutional conditions.
Environmental Management Environmental Engineering
IdentifiersURN: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-123308OAI: oai:DiVA.org:liu-123308DiVA: diva2:881396
Sardinia 2015- 15th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium
ProjectsDeponier som gruvor